Karaoke originated in Japan, but it has become a popular activity throughout the world. The following are some interesting and fun facts about this popular past time.
- The word Karaoke actually means “Empty Orchestra” in Japanese.
- Karaoke was born in a Japanese town called Kobe when a band failed to show up for a gig in a bar. The innovative owner played some music and asked his customers to come up and sing.
- The most popular song requested at Karaoke Bars is “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson.
- There are over 100 000 karaoke bars in China.
- The record for the longest karaoke performance by one person lasted 101 hours, 59 minutes and 15 seconds.
- The largest worldwide karaoke consisted of 160 000 participants.
- Japanese businessmen often hire professional singers to coach them how to improve their performance so that they can impress their clients.
- There is Karaoke World Championship, which started in 2003.
- Many Karaoke Champions go on to secure record deals.
- The 4th week in April is national Karaoke week.
- Some karaoke machines in Japan not only rates the performance of the singer, but also tell the singer how many calories were burnt during their performance.
TBAE’s Karaoke Challenge team building activity is a great way for your team to get to know each other and bond together. The Karaoke Challenge always results in a lot of laughter as fellow team members try and outdo each other to show off their singing talents. The Karaoke Challenge is also an excellent activity for encouraging the more withdrawn and shy team members to step outside their comfort zones… click here for more information