If you want to get your team’s adrenaline pumping, a shark cage diving experience is the perfect team building event. The White Shark Diving Company will take you closer than ever before to one of nature’s most astonishing creatures.
The cage diving takes place in Gansbaai, about two hours drive from Cape Town. Gansbaai is known as the great white shark capital of the world. The over 50,000 seals that reside close to the area are an excellent food source for the great white sharks. The actual dive takes place out at Dyer Island which is situated off the coast of Gansbaai. The Great White Shark is a surface feeder and thus all their activity takes place on or very close to the surface, due to this, the surface viewing from the boat is excellent.
What to Expect From the Shark Cage Diving Tour
You departure to the cage diving site usually takes place in the early hours of the morning. The boat will depart with groups of up to 20 people maximum. The amount of passengers per trip is limited to ensure that each diver receives maximum cage time. The ride to dive site takes about 20 minutes and you will be anchored there for up to four hours. Five people at a time can enter the cage and for the first dive you will be in the cage for about thirty minutes.
The shark is lured to the cage by the crew and you are told to take a deep breath and go down when the shark reaches the cage. With the intimidating predator just an inch away, you’ll want to stay under water as long as you can.
A great white shark cage diving tour includes:
- Transport to Gansbaai from Cape Town CBD and Somerset West
- Delicious muffin and drink on arrival
- Extensive safety briefing
- Education about great white sharks
- Scenic boat tour
- Shark Alley visit (only in winter)
- Sandwiches & snacks on the boat
- Wetsuit & equipment (diving masks, hoods and boots)
- Diving equipment guidance by shark expert
- Shark cage dive
- Lunch, salad, coffee and tea upon return
- Optional DVD at the end of the day for R350.
Subscribe to TBAE’s Blog and Receive Notifications of New Blog Posts