Many people are finding themselves in the position of having to work from home for the first time in their careers. Although there are many benefits of working remotely, there are also pitfalls that you need to avoid to remain effective in your profession.
The following are a list of bad habits to avoid when working from home that will not only affect your productivity but in many cases your mental health.
- Being accessible and available for everyone 24/7.
- Not taking regular breaks.
- Not having a break for lunch but eating in front of your computer.
- Holding yourself to the same high standard every day.
- Always wanting to look busy due to fear of looking “lazy”.
- Not getting enough sleep.
- Agreeing to take calls at inconvenient times because you want to be seen as agreeable.
- Not maintaining a healthy work-life balance and not separating work and life enough.
- Allowing your schedule to become too flexible.
- Checking your phone that one more time before going to bed.
- Getting involved in things that need to be done in the house in the time set aside for work.
- Sending one more email or making one more call when you are supposed to log off for the day.
- Never seeing your friends or family.
…And all the other things we regularly do because we feel obligated to do even if they are not realistically possible.